Georges River Life Care offers a range of parenting courses for parents and carers. Please see below for our current schedule or Contact us for more information.
From time to time Life Care offers other parenting programs based on the amount of interest generated. Please click on the link below to access the expression of interest form and join the waiting list.
Bringing Up Great Kids (BUGK)
BUGK focuses on building positive and nurturing relationships between parents and their children. The program aims to support parents to review and enhance their patterns of communication with their children, to promote more respectful interactions and encourage the development of children’s positive self-identity.
BUGK is a versatile program with an integrated suite of activities and tools that are unique and offer all parents and carers a fresh way to understand and enact relationships with their children.
BUGK programs and resources support parents to:
- learn more about the origins of their own parenting style and how it can be more effective;
- identify the important messages they want to convey to the children in their care and how to achieve this;
- learn more about brain development in children and its influence on their thoughts, feelings and behaviour;
- understand the meaning of children’s behaviour;
- discover how to overcome some of the obstacles getting in the way of them being the kind of parents they would like to be; and,
- discover ways for parents to take care of themselves and to find support when they need it.
CIRCLE OF SECURITY
At times all parents feel lost or without a clue about what our child might need from us. Imagine what it might feel like if you were able to make sense of what your child was really asking from you. The Circle of Security® Parenting™ program is based on decades of research about how secure parent-child relationships can be supported and strengthened.
Circle of Security assists parents and caregivers to:
- Understand their child’s emotional world by learning to ‘read’ their needs
- Support their child’s ability to successfully manage emotions
- Enhance the development of their child’s self esteem
- Honour the innate wisdom and desire for their child to be secure.
123 MAGIC & EMOTION COACHING
This 3 week course is designed to assist parents and caregivers with their child’s behaviours of concern such as defiance, tantrums, yelling, fighting and arguing. Participants will have the opportunity to consider:
- New approaches to encourage positive behaviour
- What is behind those behaviours of concern?
- What to do when their child is overwhelmed with big emotions
- Effective ways to guide behaviour while maintaining a positive relationship with their child
This 3 week course provides parents and carers with easy-to-use techniques to:
- Enlist adolescents to manage their own behaviour problems and emotional reactions
- Build their relationship with their teenager, and
- Deal with unacceptable behaviour while maintaining reasonable expectations of their adolescent
Parents will walk away with a new understanding of adolescents and a renewed sense of confidence about the role they can play in their teenagers’ lives, without conversations morphing into arguments.
NO SCAREDY CATS
The No Scaredy Cats™ 3 week course is based on three underlying principles: first, by having an understanding of how anxiety develops parents can counter its progress, second, parents can take a preventative role in the development of anxiety problems, third, there are practical steps parents can take to build resilience.
The course provides opportunity for a greater understanding of the problem of increasing levels of anxiety in children and some strategies to assist reducing anxiety and building resilience in children aged 2-12years.